upmmas.com
September 25, 2017, 01:48:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Vendors and Sponsors Section! Email 2FarNorth to be listed.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EPO putty Tips & Suggestions & Other news!  (Read 3653 times)
2FarNorth
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 27, 2011, 05:22:41 PM »

Hello everyone!
  First up, we've been working on getting ready for MACNA, so keep an eye out, we'll be having some specials coming soon for members of the forum!

Also,  Just wanted to make a quick update on the EPO putty, I put together a quick Tips & Suggestions for the proper use in an Aquarium.
  I've been getting a few reviews back, and since EPO is alot different then most putties, It tends to be odd to work with if your used to the other stuff like Aquamend, little fishes, etc. Mainly because of the freshness, and of course the chemical make-up.

This and more can be found on www.epoputtyusa.com

waucedah_joe

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:42:25 AM »

I was given a sample of this stuff to try at a swap over a year ago.  All that was asked of me was that I let others know if I liked it.  Frankly it was a mess.  Kind of like trying to kneed bubble gum in ones fingers.  I was not impressed.  Then I read the tip about keeping fingers wet when using and I decided to try it again.  HUGE difference.  This stuff is great.  Regular marine epoxy putty is not very sticky.  If you can get everything in position and keep it there until it cures, then OK but does not want to stick really.  The EPO putty sticks to the coral, or plug and the rock well.  One of chalice frags fell off of the plug when I touched it so I just stuck the frag down right on the putty and it held fast.  I'm sold and won't use anything else when a putty is called for.  Thanks Jim.  Another suggestion to pass along, use a razer knife to cut all the way around the foil.  This helps prevent squishing the package because both parts are fairly soft.

2FarNorth
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 09:08:02 PM »

Thanks for the post!

I've been dealing with a few artists, and they use it for sculpting, I guess they get a solid base down with the epo first, then the modeling clay over... I actually have more experience with it dry then wet, I've been building alot of different dry rock scapes, and love how easy it is to work with.... and of course with the dry rock it blends right in and gets corralline algae just as fast as the dry rock...

Using it wet does take some getting used to, mainly because of the long set time. It's always best if it's going to be holding some weight, to let it set up a little after mixing (out of water) for around 15 minutes or so...

Also I've noticed if you over work it underwater, it does give off some talc residue (harmless, but us in the Reef world HATE stuff clouding the water!  Wink)  It's best to get it where you want it and leave it. the more you manipulate it the more it will release the talc...

I always love to hear feedback, whether good or bad!

Jim
HeiHei29er

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 09:44:41 PM »

How is the EPO for "accepting" coralline, algae, etc.? 

I bought a stick of the Instant Ocean putty when I first started putting my scape together.  It worked OK for that, but doesn't stick real well when working underwater as mentioned below.  But, my biggest complaint is that nothing seems to grow on it.  It still looks very white and fake in the tank.  It's starting to stick out more now that the rock is getting various stages/forms of algae and coloration.  I don't really have any coralline yet, so I'm hoping that will cover it if I ever get the coralline started.

MizTanks
Global Moderator

jamels59
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 01:43:53 PM »

Sadly I'm finding the same thing with the EPO-Putty. It stays white also Sad

There's nothing like being a Reefer!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: